Summary | Not for Sale | Anon

Summary           ' Not for Sale ' by an anonymous writer is a heart touching story of a young couple madly in love who overcome all obstacles for the sake of their love and togetherness. The author was on a vacation when he came across a painting of a young woman . The painting was extraordinary and very expressive. He wished to buy it. But the woman in charge of the shop denied saying that the painting belonged to the owner of the shop and he did not wish to sell it. However, the painting was so touching that it kept haunting the author. Whenever he got a chance, he would drive all the way through Taos and to the gallery and see the painting. Finally, the woman shopkeeper told him the story behind the painting. Two young students, a man and a woman, fell madly in love while they studied painting and arts in New York, far from their homes . They decided to get married and have a promising career in painting.           However, just a few weeks before the wedding, the woman fel

Not for Sale | Anon | Part - 2

Not for Sale

Please Read the Part-1 of 'Not for Sale'.

        She therefore decided to return home at once. She wrote the young man a long letter which she left in his room. In the letter, the young woman mentioned nothing about her health; she simply said that she had discovered that she was not really in love with him and that she had decided not to get married. Under the circumstances, she wrote, the best thing for her to do was to return home. And she did. After she did. After she had left, the young man found the letter in his room.

For Summary of "Not For Sale", please click the below link

        The woman at the shop, who had been telling me the story, stopped at this point. I waited for a moment, then remarked, "But you haven't said anything about the painting. Where does that come into the story?"

Not For Sale

        She remained silent for a moment. "The painting is simply a study of the young girl by the young boy while they were both students and so deeply in love. Perhaps for that reason the picture has a certain warmth and feeling. You yourself once remarked about this."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        "Yes, I did," I said, looking again toward the picture on the wall and then back again at the woman in the shop. Suddenly, then there occurred to me something that I had never noticed before. For the first time, I saw a resemblance between the girl in the picture and the woman in the shop. I looked again from one to the other. "You'll excuse me," I said, "but you are, by any chance, the girl in the picture? It seems to me that I see a definite resemblance there."

"Yes," she said smiling. "I am the girl. And she said that you have followed my story very well."

"But I still don't understand one or two things," I said.

        "The ending is very simple. A few weeks after the young woman left New York, the young man, by one means or another, learned the real truth about her condition. Immediately, he himself then left New York and followed her to Taos. Being a person of very strong character, he insisted on marrying her - and did so."

"But what about the young girl's health?" I asked. "Or rather your health?" The doctors had said that you had only a short time to live.

        "My husband refused to believe in the decision of the doctors. He said that our love was too strong to permit any such difficulties. For several years, it is true, I was in very poor health, and we remained in the Southwest. But my husband's faith never weakened, and faith, as you know, often works miracles. Later, we opened this gallery and we both began painting again. Things were not always easy for us, but we've really been happy these past twenty years."

Comments